I am suffering from stomach/digestion related issues from last 3 years. chronic digestive issues gave me anxiety and panic attacks last year which in result gave me head pressure, tingling sensations and slight tremors also. i have gonna through all test including blood test, stool test, diabetes test, thyroid checkup, endoscopy etc. all normal accept slight gastritis. I tried kapalbhati it is giving me stomach cramps. i tried turmeric supplements but it gave me very heavy menstrual peirods. i am 32 years female from Gujarat. Having 4.5 year old boy (normal delivery). Allopathy doctors said it is IBS and stress related.
I have made dietary changes and taking medicines from patanjali (1 chitrakadi vati + 2 udramrit vati from 2 months) it is helping with condition but have not cured it. they gave mulethi kawath also but it doesn’t work and gave me some weird symptoms like nausea. pls suggest be best and natural way to come out from this condition. Waiting or your reply. – J. George
There are normally two angles for any chronic issue like the one you are reporting. The first one is physical wherein you have developed a physical defect in your system which is causing this condition. The defects can also be under two categories 1. caused by certain skeletal-muscular disorientation/deformity 2. due to certain bacterial infection or something similar to it. Let me try presenting you my readings (though there are not much of the facts available in your mail) in your case
One thing which I would like to bring your attention to, since you have gone through the whole period of 9 months carrying a child and then delivering it normally. You should know that both these phases take toll on vertebral column especially the sacral, sacrum and pelvis. Yet again, during the normal delivery procedure there is considerable movement in the bones forming the ‘pelvic girdle’.
There are some joints in the pelvic girdle (even other joints too, see image) and If during the delivery you have developed some strain in the deepest tissues that may cause inflammation. Such mild inflammation in long term can cause you back pain (though you have not mentioned any back-pain however I suspect you would be having some heaviness in the lower tummy (below navel and around your hips). Such a pain is caused by structural misalignment or injury to any of these joints in the pelvic girdle. Pelvic problems can be the root cause of all such symptoms which you are reporting. I am not a qualified doctor or orthopedic surgeon yet I am saying all this with my own understanding of human body from the perspective of Yoga and Tantra (well seasoned Tantrics can prove to be the best therapists I bet.. laughs). In fact it is my observation that most of the people (males or females) who suffer from IBS have root cause in either lower back or SI joint. It is generally caused due to injury, strain caused by excessive driving, rash dancing, extra long sitting hours in offices, lack of exercises for strengthening the muscles of pelvic and lower back region. Doctors may take clues if they like (smiles).
Now about my suggestions if above is root cause of your issue – (I will suggest you do these exercises even if you doubt that such is the case and report back your progress). The management is based on primarily calming the inflammation and developing muscular strength in pelvic, hips and lower back region. Following is suggested –
- If you have gained weight (around your tummy) during your pregnancy, find out your own ways to reduce it. Some fat-melting belts or wears can be used for the purpose.
- Lie down on your back. Bring both your knees to the chest curving the spine and try lifting your buttocks off the mat. This should create strain in your abdominal muscles. Count to 20 (not too slow nor too fast) and come back in normal position. Begin by doing 3 rounds each time i.e. morning and evening (empty stomach) only to increase gradually to 10 rounds over next 6-8 weeks. Refer to the figure below –
- Second exercise suggested is as below (in blue). It can be called a pelvic lift along with rotation. The feet placing should be done so as to make lift comfortable however one thing you should try here that is putting least weight/pressure on your feet. You should try lifting your the pelvic region using the strength of abdominal muscles (as much possible). Here also you should apply the count of 20. Start with 5 lifts gradually increasing it to 10 over 6-8 weeks.
- Third thing is – Learn Kegel exercise and do it at least twice daily. You may couple Kegel with the above suggested pelvic lift. The best way to couple it with mentioned exercise is by inducing and maintained contractions while butts lifted.
- Always check your posture while you are standing. Slight forward strain (as if you are thrusting upward in sexual intercourse) should be maintained along with vertical alignment of chest region with it.
- To calm down inflammation (if you have heaviness in abdominal region or back) use ice-packs at least once a day.
- Taking herbal supplements for reduction of inflammation like one TSP ground turmeric with one glass of milk everyday.
- Sunbath for 50 mins (uninterrupted) along with good calcium intake is must.
- I suspect you would be having problem of UDF (un-digested food in excreta) because that is the case mostly when people suffer from IBS. Yes so, I suggest taking 2-3 gms of Bel Chruna or half a cup Bel syrup every night.
- If nothing is available take some amount of Gur (jaggery) after every major meal.
If all my previous observations about dislocated joints or traumatised inner tissues are not correct then there is second possibility of having some infection etc. You say tests are all normal and nothing is wrong in there. Then…
When nothing seems to be wrong with the pathology it ought to be psychology!
Although you have not mentioned what keeps you busy, what is your routine, what are your own assessment about the stress-creating factors in your life but one thing seems to be quite clear – your problems started when your child was about 1.5 years old. Although if there were reasons for you to be stressed those were most present when you were bringing up your child but I think during those times you were truly engaged and occupied with the blissful feeling and company of your newly born baby without any thoughts of anything else. And when your child became little independent, not needing you much… you became aware of the fact that the amount of love and care ‘You’ used to receive from your partner and others has reduced. Though quite normal and natural is this phase of life yet that’s scary a feeling which most of women aren’t able to cope with.
You need to re-think and find out the exact reasons of stress in your life because just ‘excess of work’ and ‘busyness’ has never been able to stress anyone in this world! Reasons can be many… such as lack of motivation, no goals in sight, no sense of achievement, lack of appreciation, reduced energies affecting sex-drive, reduced physical attractiveness, lack of attention from your loved ones especially your partner and insecurities arising out of such things. I just gave random examples.. in fact only you can point out the exact reasons in your case. Once the list is ready then only you can work on those. I leave resolution of these conflicts to you. In case you find any help you can consult a counselor or write to me again. Even now I can suggest how to bust the stress. The mantra is – Love, Laugh and Share!
Beloved J, I am neither a doctor, physiotherapist nor a psychologist but a Tantra-Yoga Master. So, when I put that cap on.. only thing I wish to say to you is that ‘once you are able to recognize that you are not the body but the keeper of your body. After you realize that you have come here alone and have to leave alone and no one is going to share your pain and agony. When you understand that life has a bigger purpose than growing old and collecting people and things around… you shall become peaceful.’
But that happens only to sincere people.. who are ready to stand out and question the obvious rather than spend their whole life in fixing the problems of body… The problems of body can be cured while walking the path of self-discovery too but I know hardly anyone’s interested in that these days. (laughs)
Get well soon..
– Acharya Agyaatadarshan Anand Nath