QUESTION FROM SIDDHARTH
I want to thank you for your valuable blog. I was suffering from negative effects of pranayam and with your advices i am returning to normal. But the promblem is that there is much fluctuation sometimes i feel normal sometimes negative effects exist. As you posted that you have more to cure such negitive effects of pranayam, so kindly suggest me what else i can do to get better. Thank you
Recuperating from negatives effects or wrong breathing was the post which answered your question in detail however for the benefit of giving readers a series of articles on Pranayama and Yoga I’m re-posting that under this topic. Here it goes..
How can we take breathing so non-seriously? Breath is life and to stay breathing means we are still alive!
Yoga Masters say that people are ignorant about this very process of life. They opine that the breathing should be taught.. albeit no child ever took a lesson on how to take her first breath. It is a natural process.. and it gets triggered by just one stroke.. and continues till someday you are no more alive. Still Yoga masters like Patanjali, Gherand and Gorakshnaath have a valid point. You should be taught to breathe properly. Not because you never knew how to breathe but because mostly your childlike breathing pattern which was ought to stay with you for life gets lost as you grow.
The more your mind gets entangled in daily struggles of life, more you find yourself being victim of the emotional outbursts of people & self… your natural rhythm of breathing gets disturbed. And then obviously the intervention of some swami or guru becomes unavoidable to restore your natural breathing rhythm.
You tried that and found it didn’t help rather worsened your conditions! There might be reasons behind which only your teacher or guide can tell however since you have already stopped ‘pranayam’, going back to teacher may not be needed. However since you say your recuperation process is intermittent and sometimes you still feel negative effects of ‘pranayam’ following things should be tried –
1. First requirement from you is that you STOP thinking about your past practices. That means you need to be free of that very thought which makes you connect the negative symptoms with pranayam practices performed earlier. It is needed because ultimately your mind is the master controller of your body and if it stays in doubt it will hinder the process of healing.
2. I don’t know if someone told you that. Always keep a genuine smile on your face while you do any breathing/ meditation etc. Smiling activates certain hormonal processes which help your body in healing. It also helps in deepening your experiences with concentration/meditation.
3. Physical workout and challenging your physical limits is always helpful. When you challenge yourself.. by and by you break your own belief systems which is programmed to ‘i can’t do that’. And thus it gives you courage to take up this self-healing assignment to a new level.
4. Drinking lots of water helps. Water works wonders. It helps you rejuvenate and detoxify your system. It is also biggest healer available on earth. If you were inducted in Tattva Shakti Vigyaan, I would have advised you to energize the Water Element in you nevertheless you can still take help of visualization and imagine the molecules of water getting into every disoriented cell/process of body and healing them.
5. Engage in positive self-talk. Focus on those things which you feel have healed.
6. Do not think too much about body-processes. In fact our body is such a great self-correcting and versatile instrument you don’t have to bother too much about it. You won’t believe but 99.9999% of the processes in your body are carried out without coming to your notice! So what can you do by thinking about those?? You will be just disturbing them.
6. Apart from the above things you should take up Surya Namaskar (Minimum of 5 rounds – Max 10 rounds) & Yogic breathing for quick recovery.
Whenever you have time and opportunity take up a residential course in Yoga however it is always good idea to keep yourself informed. Read authentic books on Yoga such as Patanjali Yogsutra, Gherand Samhita, Shiva-Samhita, Goraksh Samhita etc. WARNING – DO NOT TRY TO TEACH YOURSELF THROUGH BOOKS.. You need Master for that!!
With these simple steps will definitely restore you to health soon!
Blessings from Masters…
– Ach. Agyaatdarshan Anand Nath